The International Migration and Diaspora Division is a new and unique initiative of FICCI under the leadership of its Secretary General, Dr. A Didar Singh. Advisedly responding to an urgent need of a gap felt in policy-making for issues concerning mobility of economic migrants, this division of FICCI aims to bring the Industry to the High Table of Migration. With the promotion of the, ‘Business Case for Migration’, at its core, the Division is moving swiftly in advocating mobility of people based on facts and evidence-based work. The work of this division is guided by a Taskforce on International Migration and Diaspora, a policy-making body composed of experts on mobility from the Industry and the Government as well as Independent experts, researchers, and academics.
The vision of the Division is to facilitate international mobility of people and the portability of skills in a manner that would best meet the needs of Industry and Business and maximize welfare for all. The mission of the Division is to partner with governments, intergovernmental and international organisations, think tanks, and other Industry bodies to build strong coalitions; exchange knowledge; and develop capacities for demand driven international mobility of skills.
The Division aims to work in the following areas:
- Understanding the concerns of Industry about migration
- Meaningful engagement with the Diaspora
- Skill development
- Circular migration
- Harmonisation of mutual recognition of skills and certification
- Return migration
- Ethical recruitment
- Mode 4
- Contributing towards the involvement of the private sector in the post-2015 Development agenda
To achieve these goals, the International Migration and Diaspora Division has partnerships with:
- The International Organisation for Migration (IOM)
- The World Economic Forum through the Global Agenda Council on Migration