Request for Feedback on United States Generalised Scheme of Preferences GSP
USTR has recently announced the 2015 Annual GSP Review. The GSP program contains built-in import ceilings known as competitive needs limitations CNL to limit duty-free access to the US market for products and countries that might not otherwise be “competitive”. The GSP statute requires termination of GSP benefits for products from specified beneficiaries if those products either account for 50 percent or more of the value of total US imports of that product or exceed a certain dollar value $170 million in 2015 increases by $5 million per year.
It has been noticed that two Engineering/ Auto Component Products HTS 7325.91.00 Iron or steel grinding balls and HTS 8708.50.95 Half shafts for tractors and buses would lose the US GSP preferences since they account for 55.2% and 64.5% respectively of US imports from January-August 2015. The import statistics released by US Department of Commerce for the period 2012 to August 2015 are downloadable for your ready reference Annex 1, Annex-2 and Annex 3.
Since the US Bureau of Census data suggests that percentage of total US imports for each of these product lines has reached the threshold limit of 50%, GSP benefits on these items would be removed. However, if you would like to propose that these products should continue to receive US GSP benefits, you can provide your submissions with suitable justification.
All concerned should follow detailed guidelines for submitting their petitions. All submissions for the GSP Annual Review must conform to GSP regulations. The regulations are available on the USTR Web site at https://ustr.gov/issue-areas/trade-development/preference-programs/generalized-system-preference-gsp/gsp-program-inf. The GSP guidebook available at https://ustr.gov/sites/default/files/GSP-Guidebook-July-2015.pdf has detailed information on the GSP program.
The US Federal Register notice provides information on how to submit these petitions Annex 4. These instructions are as follows:
- All submissions in response must be in English and must be submitted electronically via http://www.regulations.gov, using docket number USTR-2015-0013.
- To make a submission via http:// www.regulations.gov, enter the docket number for this review-USTR-2015-0013 - in the ‘‘Search for’’ field on the home page and click ‘‘Search.’’ The site will provide a search-results page listing all documents associated with this docket. Find a reference to this notice by selecting ‘‘Notice’’ under ‘‘Document Type’’ in the ‘‘Filter Results by’’ section on the left side of the screen and click on the link entitled ‘‘Comment Now.’
- Submissions must include, at the beginning of the submission, or on the first page if an attachment, the following text in bold and underlined: 1 ‘‘2015 GSP Annual Review’’ and 2 the eight-digit HTSUS subheading number in which the product is classified for product petitions or the name of the country for country practice petitions.
- Interested parties submitting petitions that request action with respect to specific products should also list at the beginning of the submission, or on the first page if an attachment the following information: 1 The requested action and 2 if applicable, the beneficiary developing country. Submissions should not exceed 30 single-spaced, standard letter-size pages in 12-point type, including attachments. Any data attachments to the submission should be included in the same file as the submission itself, and not as separate files.
- Each submitter will receive a submission tracking number upon completion of the submissions procedure at http:// www.regulations.gov. The tracking number will be the submitter’s confirmation that the submission was received into http:// www.regulations.gov. The confirmation should be kept for the submitter’s records. Documents not submitted in accordance with these instructions may not be considered in this review.
Please Contact for further information:
Ms Saloni Jha or Ms Prerna Dani
Tel: 011-23487467 or 23487511