Geospatial technology broadly includes mapping and surveying techniques, remote sensing, photogrammetry, cartography, Global Positioning Systems (GPS) and Geographical Information Systems (GIS). With its unique ability for acquisition, integration and analysis of geographically-referenced spatial information, this technology has in recent times been recognised as an effective tool for planning, management and decision making locally and globally.
Geospatial technology has made inroads across various sectors in the public as well as private domain in India. The major sectors using geospatial technology in India are: agriculture, telecommunications, oil & gas, environmental management, forestry, public safety, infrastructure, logistics etc. As stakeholders across sectors realise the utility and long term cost effectiveness of using geospatial tools and technologies, the geospatial industry is set to progress by leaps and bounds in the coming years. Well articulated policy mechanisms, Government support and the ever-increasing domestic demand would go a long way in popularising geospatial technology in India and bring it into the mainstream as an aid for effective governance and developmental planning.
The aim of the FICCI Task Force on Geospatial Technologies is to mainstream the use of geospatial technologies in various sectors and applications in India. The following objectives have been broadly outlined:
- Raise awareness among the citizens and encourage use of geospatial technologies for better information generation and decision making
- Identify successful case studies and models of application of geospatial techniques for replication
- Collaborate with Government at all possible levels to identify and address policy issues in this sector
- Efforts toward recognition to the subject as one of the mainstream options for higher education and career
- Facilitate a common platform to all stakeholders so as to strengthen feed-back mechanism among Government, Industry & Academia
- Assess and enhance the level of engagement across different sectors of economy
- Capacity Building