Sector OverviewFICCI believes that it is essential to secure the proactive participation and involvement of businesses and people for improving environment quality. Adoption of clean, climate and health friendly technologies in every sphere of activity is of paramount importance in enabling environmental improvement. FICCI's Environment Division has taken up a broad spectrum of initiatives to address industry's issues pertaining to environment and climate change.
The FICCI Environment and Climate Change Division works on policy and regulatory issues pertaining to environment, and also works on environmental projects with various national and international agencies, organizes outreach events, training programmes and workshops for industry awareness on issues pertaining to environment and climate change.
FICCI’s Role in the Environment Space
The Environment Division aims at serving its members from the Indian private and public corporate sectors and multinational companies, drawing its strength from diverse industry across states, reaching out to over 25 sectors with 31 members through Subgroups operating under the aegis of the Environment Committee. It provides a platform for networking and consensus building within and across sectors and is the first port of call for Indian industry, policy makers and the international business community.
FICCI has a special focus on five main thematic areas in the space of environment:
- Waste Management (E-waste, Hazardous, Plastic, MSW, Biomedical) - It encompasses broad spectra of environment for all stakeholders across all waste streams
- Environment & Forest Clearances - Fast tracking of the environment and forest clearances for industrial projects
- Corporate Sustainability - Need to integrate concerns of environment and society in larger business strategy and linking corporate sustainability with larger sustainable development goals
- Biodiversity - Implications of industry on biodiversity for regulatory framework and biodiversity conservation and management
FICCI's Role in the Climate Action
FICCI has been playing a proactive role in climate change related policy advocacy, outreach, thought leadership and representation in international platforms as a voice of business and industry in India for more than a decade. This role has been deepened by the FICCI Climate Change Task Force (CCTF) since 2007. The Task Force, rechristened as FICCI Climate Change Committee in 2018 to take forward FICCI’s engagement in this space to a higher level and to ensure India’s leading position on its nationally-determined targets under Paris Agreement with proactive actions on all fronts and not just emission reductions. FICCI’s climate work further emphasises on international collaboration and developing consensus on policy and fiscal measures to bring forth a good degree of balance on all pillars as per the rulebook of the Paris Agreement, starting from mitigation, to adaptation and finance.
- FICCI is an accredited Observer organisation under the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC)
- FICCI is also Member of the NDC Implementation Committee of MOEFCC, GoI and the Sub Committee on Mitigation (NDC is Nationally Determined Contributions under the Paris Agreement (pledged by each country based on country specific priorities and circumstances)
- FICCI has successfully led business delegations to several UNFCCC Conference of Parties (COPs) to present the voice of Indian Business and Industry. FICCI has been at the COPs in Bali, Poznan, Cancun, Copenhagen, Paris, Marrakesh, Bonn and Katowice
- FICCI hosted the India edition of the global Business and Climate Summit (BCS) in 2017 in New Delhi, a high-level annual forum to create vision for climate action convening global business leaders. Total 75 speakers participated in BCS. 30 CEOs of leading global and Indian companies (including global CEOs of EDF, ENGIE, Michelin, TOTAL, Saint Gobain and Indian CEOs of Unilever, thyssenkrupp, TCE, Schneider, Shell) and Union Ministers from India (Dr Harsh Vardhan, Mr Piyush Goyal and Mr Dharmendra Pradhan) addressed the India Business and Climate Summit
- FICCI organises India’s only flagship event for business and industry in climate change – ‘India Climate Policy and Business Conclave’ annually since 2007 in partnership with the Ministry of Environment, Forest & Climate Change (MoEFCC), GoI (Other partners include Federal Environment Ministry of Germany (BMU); GIZ and the World Bank Group)