The Indian retail industry has emerged as one of the most dynamic and fast-paced industries due to the entry of several new players. It accounts for over 10 per cent of the country’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP) and around 8 per cent of the employment. India is the world’s fifth-largest global destination in the retail space.
Indian Retail Industry has immense potential as India has the second largest population with affluent middle class, rapid urbanisation and solid growth of internet.
India’s retail market is expected to grow at a Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of 10 per cent to US$ 1.6 trillion by 2026 from US$ 641 billion in 2016. While the overall retail market is expected to grow at 12 per cent per annum, modern trade would expand twice as fast at 20 per cent per annum and traditional trade at 10 per cent#. Indian retail market is divided into “Organised Retail Market” which is valued at $60 billion which is only 9 per cent of the total sector and “Unorganised Retail Market constitutes the rest 91 per cent of the sector.
India’s Business to Business (B2B) e-commerce market is expected to reach US$ 700 billion by 2020.## Online retail is expected to be at par with the physical stores in the next five years.
India’s direct selling industry is expected to reach a size of Rs 23,654 crore (US$ 3.54 billion) by FY2019-20, as per a joint report by India Direct Selling Association (IDSA) and PHD.
Indian exports of locally made retail and lifestyle products grew at a CAGR of 10 per cent from 2013 to 2016.
The size of modern retail in India is expected to double to Rs 171,800 crore (US$ 25.7 billion) from Rs 87,100 crore (US$ 13 billion) in three years driven by omni-channel retail.