FICCI FMCG committee is actively involved in the issues related to policy & strategy, capacity building and global recognition to the Indian FMCG industry. The policy and strategy agenda include taking steps to stimulate the growth of the industry, implementation of taxation related issues, addressing the regulatory concerns and expanding the horizon of industry by taking up the issues of direct selling distribution model.
FICCI FMCG division works under the aegis of FMCG Committee which is composed of the key decision makers of FMCG (Non Food) Industry . The committee comprises of 26 members. It is chaired by Mr. Kurush Grant, Executive Director-FMCG Business, ITC Limited and Co-chaired by Mr. Saugata Gupta, MD & CEO, Marico Limited
Other prominent members are Emami Limited, Fena Private Limited, Godfrey Philips India Limited, Godrej Consumer Products Limited, Johnson & Jonson Limited, Lotus Herbals Ltd, Nivea India Private Limited, Colgate Palmolive India Ltd, Procter & Gamble, Reckitt Benckiser (India) Ltd, Carrefour WC&C India Pvt Ltd., HUL, Mother Dairy Fruit And Vegetable Pvt. Ltd, Keventer Agro Ltd and many more.
Some of the key agendas pursued are as follows:
Legal Metrology Act:
- Submitted various representations to the Ministry of Consumer Affairs on the standard packaging rule
- Deferred the amendment on packaging rules for 6 months
- Incorporation of a wide range of products with multiple options on packaging
- The Act incorporated in the list of Acts which need immediate reforms
- Industry Interaction to be organized in the month of May at Mumbai
- FICCI has been invited to be on board of the Inter Ministerial Monitoring Committee
- FICCI representatives/industry members sent to the seminars / road-shows organized by Ministry of Consumer Affairs in various states
- FICCI represented at a Seminar on Consumer Awareness organized by Ministry of Consumer Affairs
- Propagated FICCI’s stand on continuing with self- regulation for advertising in various seminars and media.
- Submitted Representation on distinction between Surrogate Advertisement and Brand Extension
- Submitted representation to Ministry of Consumer Affairs on the guidelines with regard to Misleading Advertisement and promoting self-regulation for this issue.
- To organize a round table interaction between the Secretary, Ministry of Consumer Affairs and the CEOs of the concerned Industries to deliberate on some of the key issues pertaining to Misleading Advertisement
Drugs & Cosmetics Act:
- Submitted our comments to Ministry of Health & Family Welfare on behalf of our members seeking explanation on the notification proposing insertion of rule 148 C in Drugs and Cosmetics Rules 1945, as “No person shall use any animal for testing of cosmetics”.
Issue of Canteen Sales Department:
- Worked closely with industry on streamlining the process of supplies to Canteen Store Department.
- Met the chairman & GM, CSD in Mumbai and presented to him the recommendations of the Industry for effectively serving the defense consumers.
This was one of the first kinds of initiative taken by FICCI and CSD acknowledged FICCI to be the only chamber to have interacted with them