FICCI Capital Goods Committee was constituted in 2009-10.
The Committee has membership from segments like machine tools, electrical equipments, heavy engineering, construction and mining equipments, process plants etc. Some of the leading companies are members of the Committee like L&T, Thermax, Bharat Forge, ABB, Alstom, BHEL, BEML and few sectoral associations too.
FICCI has promoted and set up an active skill council for capital goods, which is called Capital Goods Skill Council, under the NSDC framework for capital goods. It is an autonomous body which has been set up with the support of Department of Heavy Industry, capital goods industry and industry associations. The council is being chaired by Mr. M.S Unnikrishnan, Managing Director & CEO, Thermax Ltd. Together; CGSC represents over 13,600 companies in the CG Sector.
The Capital Goods Skill Council is mandated to do the following:
- Develop National Occupational Standards
- Develop Sector Skills Development Plan
- Develop Quality Assurance parameters for assessments and certification
- Training of Trainers
- Promote academies of excellence for the sector
- Establish a structured Labour Market Information System (LMIS)