State Council Overview
Kerala, the Gods Own Country is the tiny state situated at the Southern end of India with an area of 38,863 Sq. Km. and with a population of 3.33Crores.The state has many advantages such as 94% literacy rate, life expectancy of 74%, English is widely spoken and understood, high per capita income, availability of skilled manpower, three international Airports, (New Int. Airport at Kannur will be opened in 2018) and 18 Sea ports including one International Container Transhipment Terminal at Kochi. (New ICTT at Vizhinjam under construction) The State has second highest teledensity in India, communication gateway in Kochi with two high speed submarine cables landing offering 15 Gbps bandwidth. The State is one of the few States in India with negligible power cuts and electricity tariff is very low compared to most other Indian States.
- The important sectors of growth and investment in Kerala are Food & Agro Sector, IT & Electronics, Health Care Services, Ayurveda Medicines, Tourism, Retailing, Plantations, Logistics, Education & Knowledge Sector and Infrastructure sectors.
- SME sectors are the real power house of Kerala’s development. Kerala's investments in its people have made its people one of the state's most lucrative exports: About three million Keralites work mainly in Persian Gulf countries, Canada, US, Europe & Australia. The biggest contributor has been the remittance of NRKs (Non Resident Keralites)
- The biggest challenge for Kerala is to channelize the resources from NRKs to productive usage and economic development rather than to unproductive sectors. Kerala needs massive investment in infrastructure. Kerala has abundance of high literate and qualified manpower resources, which needs to be utilized in the State through promoting more entrepreneurship.
- FICCI Kerala State Council was revamped and inaugurated in July 2013 and started operations from Kochi in October 2013. FICCI has significant presence in Kerala. Almost all major Chambers of Commerce & Industry and Trade bodies in Kerala are members of FICCI. Besides, various important business houses, industry & professionals are Corporate / Associate Members of FICCI in Kerala.
- FICCI State Council has constituted Six Sectors to give priority in the state taking into consideration the overall economic strength of Kerala. They are IT, Tourism, Education, Retail Trade, Real Estate / Infrastructure and Logistics.
- FICCI Kerala State Council works closely with the various Departments of Government of Kerala in providing inputs on policy initiatives to the State Government. FICCI also assists the State Government in organizing various events / programmes for the promotion of Trade & Industry and investment in the State by connecting with potential investors situated in India and abroad.
- FICCI encourages and assists Large / MSME industries / enterprises in the State to expand their overseas business activities through B2B Meetings, Trade / Business delegations and Exhibitions held at various destinations inside and outside the country. Members of FICCI are regularly updated on various economy policy changes in the country through its regular communications. Legitimate grievances and suggestions of its Members, Trade and Business Fraternity are taken up with the concerned authorities at the Center and State. FICCI Kerala State Council conducts various informative programs, workshops, Conclaves in association with Centre & State Governments and with other stake holders on a regular basis. Most of these programs are open to members from the trade and industry besides the members of FICCI.
- Currently Mr. M. G. George Muthoot as Chairman and Mr. Deepak L. Aswani as Co Chairman of FICCI Kerala State Council are spearheading the activities of FICCI in the state. FICCI Kerala State Council offices functions with Mr. Savio Mathew as the Head, FICCI Kerala State Council.